Welcome to the Department
- Welcome the employee
- Introduce employee to co-workers/department
- Give employee a tour of the department
New Employee Orientation Schedule
New Employee Orientation occurs every Monday at 1:00 pm in HR, the session typically last 2-hours. If the employee is not starting on a Monday to attend orientation, they will need to stop HR to complete the Federal Form I-9 on their start date and attend the following Monday. New Employee Orientation covers college policies, self-service, community connections, and benefits.
Meeting with the employee 1:1
Each supervisor approaches a new employee’s first day slightly differently, but the goal is to welcome the new employee and provide them with the information to get started.
- Review department policies and procedures i.e. standard business hours for your department, these can vary across campus.
- Overview of your department’s function, goals and structure, and how it works with other departments
- Consider a campus tour, particularly of areas important to their job.
- Take employee out to welcome lunch
- Review any shared calendars and/or folders
- During your first meeting with the new employee, discuss the following:
- Review the job description. Explain specific responsibilities and evaluation format and process (as applicable).
- Discuss your expectations. Explain in what ways they’ll be expected to contribute.
- The new employee’s work hours, the department’s office hours, lunch hour, break times and overtime policy/procedure (if applicable).
- Be sure to check in often with the new employee, don’t wait for a new employee to come to you in need so support or information. New employees generally will not ask for help out of fear of being looked to as incompetent.
- Create opportunities for the employee to interact with others employees by having current staff take them out to lunch, or invite the new employee to partake in campus activities.
Meetings with key people begin.
Before their 1st day, you worked out a roster of meetings to help your new hire get up to speed. It’s likely some of these will begin to take place during this first week.